Friday, April 26, 2013

Vampire Academy

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school–it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's–the very place where they're most in danger. Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi–the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires–make Lissa one of them forever.





Author: Richelle Mead (Author's Website, VA books official website, Twitter)
Publisher: Razorbill
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

This is the first time ever I'm trying out to read another vampire book series since Twilight. All I am hoping for at the beginning is that it turns out good like I had when reading Twilight. Now don't judge me. I'm just being honest that I truly enjoyed reading Twilight Saga, all right.

I have to say that Vampire Academy wasn't that real bad of a read, in fact, I couldn't put down the book - it was all I could do really. I attempted many times not to be extremely into it but yeah, I did like it. Apparently, I am very much looking forward to what's gonna happen next.

The introduction or was it around almost middle part where all rumors and gossips go around the academy was the one I wasn't really content with. I don't like it when the story has to go through these bad stuffs like gossiping. I don't like that. In addition, putting religion in fiction get me touchy. Now call me sensitive but really, I hope the writer would take it easy and light when religion is put in the context. I know it's fiction but. Oh well. I'm really sensitive, eh? All I am trying to say is that, respect religions.

Overall, I find it OK but no more than OK. Actually the protagonist, Rose, is pretty annoying adding to the headache I had a few days ago. She really gets on my nerves, you know. Despite her being annoying and flirtatious to the guys, I like her because she's selfless in a way that she protects her best friend, her loyalty to Lissa is indeed honorable though most people would see her reckless and had commented more negatively. Vampire Academy reminds me of Private series by Kate B just that this one's vampire fiction, has monarchs and stuffs.

"But, as you have demonstrated, names do not make a person. Nor do they have any bearing on how that person turns out."

I gave it 2.5 stars because, though it was all good, I realized that the story could have been better. It has the potential to get it shoot up to 4 stars in this review if it weren't that quite of a predictable climax in the plot which turned out to be a bluff sort-of and unrealistic, unreasonable explanation to the whole situation.

There were really hazy, unclear scenes too. The part where Rose would slide-into-Lissa-mind thing would somehow mixed up to her own thoughts and perspective that didn't really fit well. It was interesting but how it was described was confusing, in my opinion. I got lost. I'd have to return a few pages back just to understand what was it I previously read. I ended up forming question marks and appeared to have a sour face.

Nevertheless, I am still going to read the rest of the books in the series. I never know - it might just get better. I hope Lissa and Rose will have to do better the next time. I want to see character development in both of them especially Lissa. I want her to be stabilize, firm. I just don't want to see her breakdown again. I hope she comes back stronger through the hardship she went through. Vampire Academy is an academy that is dynamic, active. Fantasy, paranormal combine is such an awesome combination to read - surging energy in me, this one has got it! It has good plot that just needs rescue. I'm expecting a better sequel - it better be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment