Thursday, April 16, 2015

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose...

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

Author: Jojo Moyes (Website, Twitter)
Publisher: Penguin / Michael Joseph (UK)
Buy online: Amazon | Book Depository 
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 4 of 5 stars

All I have in mind is how much tears I can produced if I'm ever to cry a hundred times over after reading Me Before You. Furthermore, I just found out a sequel to be released in September? I can't recover quick enough. My poor shattered heart left to weep quietly which none of my friends would understand the deep impact that this book has made me.

To live boldly. Push yourself. Don't settle.


This is the first attempt to review this year that I never saw it coming. So please bear with me and my bad writing for not having written book reviews for so long. I couldn't hold on to the emotions I have for this book. It's been a long time now since my last book review. I just had the urge to get my feelings written down and out of my chest. I've never cried so bad and ugly until reading this book.

Honestly, I was not even halfway through the book that I found it strange that the book cover was designed the way you would feel like someone is at peace and free. I suddenly have the fear of interpreting book covers now. Hah! Now, I don't want to spoil readers who has yet to read Me Before You. It's a page-turner. I hardly ever listen in class. Entirely absorbed in Louisa and Will's living their life to the fullest within a short period of time.

Just live well. Just live

It's a great pleasure to read a book so full of different characters and personality. Especially Louisa whom I just can't help but feel connected to in a certain way simply because I can relate quite a bit even if I'm not in that kind of age and situation. It has been difficult for her, to be honest. It takes her own being just to get a job to support her family and give them the best she can to be able to get by and make ends meet. For me, I've never truly experienced hardship that Louisa did. Courage reflects as she copes with how her life has turned out to be. Although sometimes she doubts and hesitate but all in all, she's not the type of person to lose hope easily.

Fortunately, as a reader I have had a glimpse of Louisa's life changed for the better in her perspective. She missed out on a lot of how technicolor the every day life can be. The physically challenged man, Will, pushed Louisa to go for the things she has missed in life and view it with many possibilities. All out of her comfort zone and dull routines. I'm sure it's not just because of Will. She still has to be the one responsible for her own happiness and true enough she made the choice to open her eyes to many possibilities. I fairly like the idea that the true main character here is Louisa Clark.

On the other hand, Will Traynor is a character placed in the context to say that the activities that makes you think that the world only revolves around you is not the way to live either. Now, I wouldn't be so surprised Will ended up in a wheelchair. Not to sound mean, but in my opinion, I think it made the Traynor family gathered once again, coming together as whole family despite their busy life.

What disappointed me was Will's parents but I'm sure it was a heavy load to carry the fact that his choice is final. I read Steven and Camille Traynor's POV...unbelievable! Heartless people, they are! His dad actually wished it be over for Will, couldn't wait enough and live a life for his benefit. At the same time, I'm saddened by this because I'm sure they did their best for Will in any way they could. Although I assumed those two crucial years, it made them feel like prisoner in Will's presence. Therefore, I couldn't blame them. UGH, WILL TRAYNOR. DAMN YOU.

I like to admit when Will said hurtful words to Clark. I was not disappointed, I just thought how could have Will handled the situation better. I know it pained him an awful lot too, but it came out of his mouth so bluntly. I thought to myself, how selfish of Will.

Love truly moves in mysterious ways in different forms of love. Between Louisa and Will, I know that the love is not about their physical body, appearance, their health condition, or status. Instead of putting up barriers between them, they managed to break barriers that allowed love to reach both of them deeply. Unconditional love. Clark (Louisa) has accepted every inch of Will, flaws and everything that might come negative to her, she fully embraced and accepted Will to the very end.

This particular book will not make you feel miserable afterwards, rather it'll make your perspective towards life meaningful, adventurous as much as possible! Time is ticking! There are many things you can do and learn and appreciate every living moment by doing the best you can in everything you do that can alter negative to positive outlook in life. Now don't complain...LIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment