Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Kill Order

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease. 
The Kill Order is the story of that fall.
A prequel to the Maze Runner trilogy, The Kill Order has been in the works since the completion of The Maze Runner. The story of civilization’s fall was kept under wraps and is the explication of the events that began this bestselling series.

Author: James Dashner (Website, Twitter)
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Mark and Trina are survivors of the sun flares unfortunately it does not end there. Enveloping back to safety seems like a dream far away and out of their reach as another perilous challenge ahead awaits them. The contagious disease called The Flare are instantly caught passing from one person to another if made physical contacts followed by symptoms slowing breaking them down, hallucinating, creeping inside their heads and eventually die. Clueless and full of burning questions and curiosity, Mark and his friends attempt to find the answers that will put an end to all tragedies and catastrophe.

Before reading this prequel, I firstly recommend you read the entire 'The Maze Runner' trilogy and you'll know what I mean. It's actually clearer if you read the 3 books first so that you have a better understanding of what this is all about. Trust me, you'll love 'The Maze Runner'!

It's not that of a fast-paced book but descriptive enough especially with Mark's actions - it's all well-written and organize.
Very descriptive letting us into Mark's thoughts. The guilt he felt and longing. The gruesome scenes, action-thrilled felt really terrifying, real that had my heart pounding so hard against my chest which did very good. I like books doing that to me. I find it lovely and sweet of Mark sacrificing and doing the best he possibly can just so he could finally get to Trina. Same for Alec's character. He's a tough guy with a soft heart that whatever he does, he had planned it all well, able to make the right choices regardless of the difficulty. Alec is my favorite character in this prequel. He is not a person we will automatically like in reality but if we look deeper and shared the same situation we are in, he's a great company to tag along and be friends with. 

A sense of humor added in the writing. I like that. At the end of the book, it felt unresolved. Confusion filled in my head. And I started to come to reading the text again and analyze what are the intentions. Finally the puzzlement pretty much gone and I was able to recognize putting the pieces together.

I was still pretty disappointed  because it's not what I had been expecting all along though I think it could have been told better. I thought there would be no new characters. I was confused on that part but it turned good making sense. I still feel not sold on it. I guess I need furthermore explanation. I think there is more. I had gathered a few questions - how did T become a target to be taken by the lady? How could a mother leave her son to the lady just like that? Mothers does not just give away their sons or daughters. There must be an exceptional reason for that to happen. I wonder what made her do that. By right mothers fight to the difficulties just so she could keep safe her precious son or daughter. Or probably she loves T so much she has to give him up reluctantly or not. Whatever it is, I hope there is another prequel book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment