Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reached

After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.

Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Books
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 1.5 of 5 stars

I didn't really like to how the ending went. I gotta admit that I wanted to finish reading it as soon as possible. It's because it is dreadful to me though I could relate to how the characters feel. It was neatly and beautifully written - poem sure to move us and made me decode the meaning to how I think they are about. I like the poems that goes together to the context.

Expectations not met. The first book Matched was seen with potential. Well, this one I just didn't like it, it was quite of a hazy, rushed through ending. Mind-numbing.
I could say that if Xander's story could have better implemented, more developed - it'll be good. I especially liked his perspective through out this book. It caught my attention but it really needs more of rescuing - more well-planned story, witty one. Then, there's some confusion on the adding of new characters. Disapproved. Should have stick with just a few characters that stands out and are not confusing. Also, it suddenly was 3 months. 1 week. Sudden change in time. Confusing.

I do have my own interpretations though. All below. Always my favorite - to break down meanings of how I think of one line or two means to me.

Dead man living. The phrase clicked with what's already been forming in my head and I got it even more secure and clear when I read this. Living in the Society felt suffocated, controlled. Dead. You feel like you're not living anymore but your body is still there but doesn't mean you are there. You lost your sensitivity to feel think for yourself and being reasonable in life. I've felt it before. My head above the water but merely on the surface - yep, I had experience it before. Before all when I came to a country where dreams can take you to wherever you want. I had a dark past. It was dreadful but always forging my battle mode on in anywhere I was then came in handy. I can all see how Xander, Cassia and Ky anticipate of finally getting to taste freedom, love, the power to choose out of the darkness and lies they saw before their eyes. I did too when I was young. I knew the lies - I wanted to rebel but as always parents are not to believe what children says because they are matured and children are immature and young - did not know anything on this world. That's where parents are completely mistaken. We don't rebel against parents- we have tendency to say what we see and most of them are true.

Moreover, the Society had initiated control on people to be able to run government well and capable of giving fear where people probably couldn't think for themselves about what they want and had set up Matched Banquet. They give no freedom to choose. They took the person who they really are and what's really in store for their happy future - their way not the other way 'round. Society has actually a good way of governing the country but in just a plain wrong way.

I have no say to the Rising after everything. I think it's all teamwork and patience that the Rising has done to reach the goal for the good of the nation and let the realization sinks in - it's all for them. To be reached. Connect with the Rising or other capable leaders to govern the country. To open their eyes to the truth so they may choose the right leaders- everyone can choose, reached whatever goal it is or what pleases them.

I was guessing perhaps, the Society wanted them to be oblivious, be treated all the same because somehow they truly are all the same. The theme I had discovered is be unique. Stand out in any way you can, you yourself will never fail you if you are true about who you are, the passion you have will take you to a place unimaginable, unexpected and that where you have always wanted it them all to be. You're the only one who can reach your dreams if you let yourself to. It will all be aligned so long you stay on your ground. Cassia and Ky situation forming here.

"But I suppose I can conceive that what we make and do can last beyond us. Maybe in a different place, on another plane."

More quotes... below. Although I disagree to an extent to how the book could have ended, I had learned things through the quotes and pondered on what may it all meant to me. Somehow the words written in the book truly resonates on its own.

Quotes I would want to share from the book:

"Even if we took nothing away, we would all have more, having looked on something beautiful or heard something true."

"You cannot change your journey if you are unwilling to move at all."

"The earth reflects the sky and the sky meets the earth and, every now and then, if we're lucky, we have a moment to see how small we are."

"If you let hope inside, it takes over. It feeds on your insides and uses your bones to climb and grow."

"The pain wants to eat me away. I wish I could have one without the other, but that's the problem with being alive. You don't usually get to choose the measure of suffering or the degree of joy you have."

"When we fall in love the first time, we don't know anything. We risk a lot less than we do if we choose to love again. There is something extraordinary about the first time falling."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment