Friday, June 19, 2015

Reality Boy


Gerald Faust knows exactly when he started feeling angry: the day his mother invited a reality television crew into his five-year-old life. Twelve years later, he’s still haunted by his rage-filled youth—which the entire world got to watch from every imaginable angle—and his anger issues have resulted in violent outbursts, zero friends, and clueless adults dumping him in the special education room at school.

Nothing is ever going to change. No one cares that he’s tried to learn to control himself, and the girl he likes has no idea who he really is. Everyone’s just waiting for him to snap…and he’s starting to feel dangerously close to doing just that.

In this fearless portrayal of a boy on the edge, highly acclaimed Printz Honor author A.S. King explores the desperate reality of a former child “star” who finally breaks free of his anger by creating possibilities he never knew he deserved.

Author: A.S. King (Website, Facebook, Twitter)
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 4 of 5 stars


Gersday, Gersday, Gersday. I just love the idea behind the word. I love my own Gersday too, Gerald Faust! I have my own version - Queensday! To tell you the truth, Gerald and I have a similarity. I do have my own little world as well and I have it all in my head. Every time it happens, things surrounding me, people I see...will no longer be in sight and seems to blur. Then, it's all just me and everything I could possibly want right before my eyes. It's Queensday equivalent to Gersday in Gerald's point of view. Oh and I don't watch TV that much. Or any reality TV. I'm free from all the drama on TV. My own drama is enough for me to think about.

Reality Boy takes me back to the time when things happening in your life needs to be in control but for some reason, it will never be. You get a feeling that you have to deal with everything when in actual, it really doesn't have to be you dealing with life all the time. There are people who is in need of your help and you needing their help.

Gerald Faust knows who he really is inside and out. He's an inspiration because even if he's bad-tempered, he knows himself that much and will not try to hide his feelings about it. He may feel ashamed at some point, but he does it so bravely to live the life he so disliked. Although his problems are visible to others, he gives his best shot to prove to himself and everyone that he can achieve far greater - that he's standing, wanting success more than ever and not just shitting in life.

F*ck this sh*t. That's my favorite phrase from the book, by the way. Not surprising because, with that phrase it motivates me and reminds me of Gerald when he's up for some big change in the history of the Crapper! He's amazing to tell you the truth. Reality Boy is real about his feelings but couldn't show it enough for the world because everybody has their own opinions and judgements. People will never know what truly happened behind the TV screen. It's messed up and kept me up all night reading because I like to read about people who are messed up. They are fascinating, beautiful and makes it more connected to a human being than just a character in the book.

Amusing, a motivation and an inspiration protagonist to guide you through the life that he will never share to anyone but to the readers of this side of the world, that keeps you captivated as he altered his life to the most meaningful life full of hope. He IS Gerald Faust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment