Friday, November 25, 2011

Siren

How to start…how to start haha. Let me start saying this… THIS IS AN AWESOME BOOK! GO READ IT! :D What I didn’t know about this book is that it has Greek mythology in it. Ohh how I wanna thank Tricia Rayburn for sharing this book! I love this book she has written and I have to read the 2nd book in the trilogy, Undercurrent! I read only the full 1st chapter on her blog: HERE. 

Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.

Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.

Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair tries to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.

CAREFUL! Spoilery stuffs AHEAD!

While I was reading this book at first, I thought it was all just the murder of her sister. But I didn’t really saw it coming that there was more to see from there. I didn’t even think that it’ll lead to Greek mythology haha! All what was in my head was really mysteries. Believe me the title didn’t really make sense to me then. What I was imagining was, she CAN see ambulance siren (wails of sirens like weee weee with blue, red orange lighting on top. LOL). Please…laugh out loud as you wish, I don’t mind. HAHAHAHA!! I love laughing at my stupid imaginations.

But as the story goes, I understood that I had a poor poor imaginations. It’s those Sirens in the Greek mythology. I see… When I already had the idea of it, I couldn’t stop myself from referring to Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Rick Riordan’s) book. It’s because in the Sea of Monsters, Percy and Annabeth had come across Sirens. Those who sings and messed with your brain…something like that. Really indescribable. Yeah. Percy has to cover his ear so as to not hear anything from the Sirens.

Sirens in Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters are horrible and meanies. But let me assure you that Vanessa IS a Siren herself but she’s different from her kind. She’s like Betty (another Siren), kind, doesn’t want to kill or hunt for anyone around Winter Harbor.

There twists and turns – that’s what I love in the book. I even ignored Vanessa’s eyes being silver. Vanessa is a sweet and loving to her older sister and OMGOSH, Simon, Mr Science Guy…OMG! I LOVE BOTH OF THEM together! Especially when the two of them do research stuff…weather/climate stuff. OMGOSH!! SO SWEET. It hurts to me – there’s something Simon didn’t know about her and she’s afraid of telling him the truth.

P.S. I gotta stop here before I go SPAZZING AND SPAZZING OVER SIMON. You know why I SPAZZ a lot about him. First, I really like guys who are so into Science stuffs HAHAHA! Geeky, studious!! EEEEEEKK! Studious guys makes me SWOON. They make you like ‘AH’. Quiet even. MELTS.
Oh I almost forgot. I liked Oliver for keeping up writing history about Winter Harbor. I like the history in the book too! ;)

Lots of happenings in the book too! REALLY LOVE IT!
All right! I got. I really got to go fo real lol. Happy happy reading bookwormies!
Beautiful women ready to lead you to a watery death.

Quotes I like from this book: “Whenever you’re ready, or never at all is totally fine.”
“And then you run. Because the only thing worse than her being gone is that you’re still here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment