Friday, March 01, 2013

Black City

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable — they fall in love.

Bonded by a mysterious connection, that causes Ash's long dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught they'll be executed —but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

Author: Elizabeth Richards
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I was hooked to it for days. I couldn't put it down though that doesn't explain why I'm giving it only 3.5 stars.

I like the plot. It's dark, all mysterious background setting and dystopian world that made it good combination. The vampire fiction in it, wasn't really intriguing. It felt 'Twilight' sorts and of like vampire popular books/shows out there. It even reminds me of 'Warm Bodies' which quite coming off as cliche. No one can prevent me from reading the second installment though that's all I have for the negative side of my review.

Now here comes the positive. Nevertheless, the author did her book the plot fascinating, riveting. The romance really caught me breathless- I could feel ever bit of a good book! I like it!

"The heart wants what the heart wants."
-Beetle


I surprisingly, personally like Beetle besides the lead character Ash and Natalie. I love "Nash", but try to look at Beetle's characteristics.
You'll find that without him in the plot - it would've been gloomy, hopeless in a way without someone to cheer all us up. He's humorous, caring and noticeably able to show kindness to everyone even if it means they are risking their life for a friend. Beetle had a hardship he had to overcome and he fought through it. That's already falls under brave and perseverance. I love him! I trust and hoping that the author will not kill off characters. Especially Beetle. I want Beetle to survive in "Phoenix' (sequel to 'Black City'). No one can say for sure, the author has the power to write it so that goes my heart -breaking soon if I find out Beetle.... oh please no.

There's a song that is so relevant to what Ash's feeling when he was fragging confused about his feelings for Evangeline then come to realize that Natalie's for him. None other than David Archuleta's unreleased track "She's Not You". The song fits perfectly for that particular part in the book. I don't want to furthermore give spoiler.

"Heart Falls Out" (preview since CD not officially released yet) from David Archuleta!! Amazing track, folks! Check it out if you wanna swoon, leaving you with goosebumps! "Heart Falls Out" definitely says a lot about Ash and Natalie's relationship when they are apart from each other and hurt - "Heart Falls Out" describes it best! Check the songs out!

So sorry - I'll give an acute spoiler!

I learned another lesson about love. I admit, I haven't been in any relationship with anyone before but from what I noticed in Ash, Evangeline and Natalie's case - love isn't about the first sight of how beautiful or attractive the person is - Love is absolutely meaningless if you find it through physical appearance or physical attraction. It still depends neither your eye nor brain that blinds you and manipulate you to think of nonsensical and fictional things. Your inner emotions - deep emotions not physical attraction. Know them.  That's where you'll know. Search within you whether you love the person you would sacrifice your life or bet on anything just to be with them.

Love is sacrifice.What also we should focus on is - both should understand each other, know each other. Trusting each other.

If you really feel that deep desire to be with the person you should be with, anyone who attempt to prevent you to get to that person you love so much saying "that girl is not the one for you - one destined for each other is us not you with her", doesn't matter and turns your back.

Sometimes to feel hurt is necessary even though they don't deserve it but because it has to be done in order for the right thing to happen.

As long as you get to them, everything is in the RIGHT place. You'll feel safe, peaceful.

So much rambling about love. Oh my heck, haha! Pretty nervous to read 'Phoenix' at the same time I can't wrap my head around the fact that it'll be released soon!! I'm hoping that the sequel would get 5 of 5 stars from me. I'm still going to read it duh. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment