Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ocean of Secrets (a.k.a. Sea Change)

Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her (now ex) boyfriend, she's happy to be spending the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

On the lush, beautiful island, Miranda finds new friends and a community with a mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, romance...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

Author: Aimee Friedman (Website, Twitter)
Publisher: Scholastic
Buy online: Amazon 
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 3 of 5 stars

Quick and pretty easy read. I really enjoyed myself reading it. I felt the summer that I know I'll never even have to experience in real life only in my imaginations and this one has got the perfect summer story.
Its mystery kept me awake and I had so much things to ask, together with the character who is Miranda. All her theories about everything is intriguing enough to get my attention to keep on reading. I like that.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."

I connect with Miranda so much. She has insecurities of her own. I do too that's why I know where she is coming from. The fact that she is intelligent and loves Science. She's incredible enough with her own knowledge. Finding out more about her grandmother and what it means to live in The Mariner - inheritance of Miranda's mother. For her, it changes her views to many things as well. For one - to love again, be part of a sense of belonging in group of friends and most importantly, in my opinion, learned a lot more about her mother and her grandmother than she let it.

I will not so much talk about the romance because it's bittersweet between Miranda and her guy, Leo but neat at the same time because the author left us hanging so as to have our idea of how it could have ended between them and everyone else in the book.

With that, let me say, go figure out if you'll like the book and start reading! I'm calling it summer read for me though I don't have that season here to where I am now. Happy reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment