Monday, July 22, 2013

Stealing Parker

Summary from the author's website:

Companion to Catching Jordan. This book is about a girl named Parker, who has a crush on the 23-year-old coach of the school baseball team. Parker goes to the same school as Jordan Woods and Sam Henry, so you *might* see some familiar faces in my second book.

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?

Author: Miranda Kenneally (Website)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took me a while to read this book but let me tell you it was worth the time to to take it a slow reading. At first, I wasn't certain that I would finished it because let's face it, I didn't really thought it was that good at the beginning. Woah woah. Wait there... I didn't believe it, this book isn't good. Yet I continued reading it until I cannot be stopped. Besides, the first companion to this is Catching Jordan and that I thought it has a potential plot to it. However, Stealing Parker - this one, IS the one I really enjoyed reading compared to the first one, honestly!!

I feel sorry for the protagonist. Parker let the rumors from people at her school or church bring her down and caused her life to get messed up. I think that we shouldn't really bother what people say. It doesn't really matter what they think of you, that's their opinion. And so long as you know who you are, what makes you yourself, everything's going to be all right. Don't let people's thrash talk get to you. Calm yourselves and simply - smile and wave, guys! Life is going to throw us around, letting us fall to the ground. It's up to you whether you want to stand up. Let go of doubts. Be courageous and turn to faith - carrying you back up.

Another thing that I love is that you’ll know what’s best for Parker when you feel the empathy coming out of one of the baseball guys, through the pages, approached her and make her feel not alone. Also, really sincerely about wanting to understand her better. That was how I found out… empathy.

The topic on family is one that I really love too! Family is where your basics come from and in my opinion, it’s where we start to grow and learn what compassion is that we show it to our loved ones. Parker thought she could’ve just let go of the hurt – crying all by herself which it didn't work well. It wasn't the crying after all that will make her feel alive again. Whole. She needed a family who would want to listen to her and that is all.

That’s how important family is. Without them, we crumble to pieces and end up in a huge mess. No one will lead us the right path without family, who guides with every baby steps of the way. Parker was also hurt – no clue of how to continue on living in a home where she feels uncomfortable, grief-stricken about the way things turned out. Perhaps, she lost the compass when her mother left.

About the church... I honestly think that I did like about the quite of a religious topic in it, though I am a religious person and I pretty criticize books when religion topics are included in. However, this one, Parker's perspective about it made me smile and really proud of her! She stepped up to what she believes in. Her views on it were rather, rational. Well, everyone's got different beliefs. That's Parker. I like that about her.

Simply as the story picks up - that's where you'll realize, it's got a slow but steady paced, lighthearted things from Parker that will absolutely made you laugh out loud anyone would think you had gone insane! Go pick it up and read every pages of all the goodness of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment